Kremsnite (custard slices recipe): you'll fall in love with this easy and creamy dessert!
published on 2 July, 2019 at 16:00
This delicious dessert made of sheets of crispy puff pastry, filled with vanilla custard cream is very familiar in many European countries and it is known under various names: cremeschnitte, krempita, kremšnita, krémes, cremsnit, cremes and so on.
No matter how is called it is definitely a dessert you need to try at least once in a lifetime.
1 package (250g) puff pastry
3 1/3 cup 800 ml ) milk, divided
1/2 cup (60g) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (150g) sugar, divided
1/4 cup (30g) cornstarch
3 large eggs
1/4 tsp (1g) salt
2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
1/3 cup (80g) whipping cream
- Prepare the pastry sheets. Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Roll the puff pastry thin (so that you can cut 2 - 8 inch (20cm) squares in the end) and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden. Cool completely.
- Prepare the vanilla custard filling. Separate egg whites from yolks.
- Mix yolks with ½ cup (100g) sugar, cornstarch, flour and gradually incorporate 1 cup (240ml) milk. Whisk to combine.
- Place the remaining milk (560ml) into a saucepan and bring to boil. While whisking continuously pour the yolks mixture over the hot milk and continue cooking until thickens. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Add salt over the whites and start whipping until foamy. Gradually add the remaining ¼ cup (50g) sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped whites into the hot milk mixture.
- Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Incorporate into the mixture.
- Assemble the cake. Cut the baked puff pastry into 2 8 inch (20cm) squares.
- Place one square at the bottom of a square 8 inch (20cm) pan.
- Add the filling and smooth the top.
- Cut the remaining square of puff pastry into 6 or 8 equal pieces. Place them on top of the custard.
- Refrigerate the cake for 3 -4 hours to set.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving. Enjoy!
Enjoy our recipes, subscribe to Cookist: http://cooki.st/KzMh3
About us:‘Cookist’ offers you everyday fresh, fun and easy recipes. You can find the best quick and easy to make recipes, simple meal planning ideas and cooking techniques.
Connect with Cookist:Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ciaopeoplecookist/Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cookist/
more from Food Inspiration
37 VIEWSFood Inspiration
170 VIEWSFood Inspiration
1196 VIEWSFood Inspiration
1520 VIEWSFood Inspiration
875 VIEWSFood Inspiration
2412 VIEWSFood Inspiration
1692 VIEWSFood Inspiration
1648 VIEWSFood Inspiration
718 VIEWSFood Inspiration
25 VIEWSFood Inspiration
292 VIEWSFood Inspiration
3148 VIEWSFood Inspiration
2128 VIEWSFood Inspiration
1184 VIEWSFood Inspiration
38 VIEWSFood Inspiration
32 VIEWSFood Inspiration